Mysteryshows.com Forum Index Mysteryshows.com
Discuss old time radio here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

War of the Worlds mentioned on BBC news

View previous topic :: View next topic  
human

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 7:58 pm    Post subject: War of the Worlds mentioned on BBC news Reply with quote

My local public radio station runs BBC world news on weekdays immediately after Morning Edition. I was driving to class this morning when they started off a segment with "This just in from Grover's Mill, New Jersey," followed by about 30 seconds of the Mercury Theatre "War of the Worlds" broadcast. The rest of the piece was a remembrance and analysis of the infamous broadcast, which was made 70 years ago tonight. The piece was done with a healthy dollop of wry British humor, which was just perfect for the subject matter.

I played "War of the Worlds" for my students a couple of weeks ago. Some were really into it, while others were quite bored by it. In discussing the experience of listening to a radio show as opposed to watching a TV show, the consensus of both classes for whom I played it was that it was more challenging for them to follow the story without the visual element. One student summed up the sentiment, saying "We're just a TV generation."

I was hoping to make a few converts, but I'm not sure I succeeded in that endeavor.
crich70

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi human,

Wish I had had such an interesting sounding class period when I was in school. I think one teacher in grade school did play a record of some old time radio stuff (or tried to) when I was in 4th grade, but I don't remember if she actually managed to get the record player to even work. I think kids today suffer a bit from atrophy of the imagination. The toys all make sounds themselves now, most watch more tv than anything else too. They lose out on the fun of a good book or OTR program, and the really sad part is that they aren't even aware that they are missing anything.
human

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, I have to credit my eighth-grade earth science teacher for the idea. He was pretty cool. The first time I ever heard the Mercury Theatre War of the Worlds broadcast was when he played it for us to introduce a unit on the Solar System. Later in the year, he introduced a unit on caves by playing former Yes keyboardist Rick Wakeman's "Journey to the Centre of the Earth" album. The War of the Worlds record came from the school library and he played it on one of the cheezy classroom record players, but the Rick Wakeman album was from his personal collection, so he brought his home stereo system in to play it.

I was a "C" student in his class, but now that I've started teaching almost 30 years later, I've come to realize I learned something very important things from him about teaching.

Mr. Piacenza, if you're out there, thanks!
crich70

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember that "War of the Worlds" record album. My local public library had a copy of it and I dubbed a copy of the recording to audio tape once when I borrowed it from the library. A good program for Halloween even 70 yrs later.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mysteryshows.com Forum Index -> Lounge All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: