Mysteryshows.com Forum Index Mysteryshows.com
Discuss old time radio here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

looking for MP3 PLayer for Visually Impaired

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Marcel

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 9:18 pm    Post subject: looking for MP3 PLayer for Visually Impaired Reply with quote

Anybody out there come across a simple any easy to use MP3 player that can be used for the Visually impaired also with large enough to buttons for some that have nerve damage in their fingers and can't feel the controls.
I have a few friends that I introduced to OTR, and they were estactic, but it is a lot of work and time to transfer to cassette tapes and not to mention the amount of tapes needed.
Thanks
Mike Hobart

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 6:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe you could try burning some radio shows to a CD, after making sure they have a CD player with an MP3 feature. Then they can just push the "next" button to go through the disc and find the show they want to listen to.

EDIT: Hmmm, this is pretty much what you were saying, although I thought you were asking about an iPod. Re-reading itl, I see that you didn't specifically say that.

Have you tried the Association for the Blind (or whatever they call it over there) for their advice?
lablady

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 4:16 pm    Post subject: accessible MP3 player Reply with quote

I am blind and use a Creative Zen Stone MP3 player...no visual menus on it whatsoever. There are no buttons, just a centre piece which you must have enough dexterity to press in one of four directions ...might work...and reasonably priced too. Don't ever pay the big bucks for that Victor Stream junk.
Marcel

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just had time to get on and start checking out some OTR.
Thanks for the input, I came across a cheap MP3 player that seems to do the trick at the moment. It is called the Collassal 1 Gig MP3 player sold only via Wallgreens for 20$. I think thant they are discontinuing them because a friend of mine saw them a $5 bucks each and they are not showing up on their Web site
It is about 11 X 6 inches has huges buttons for easy navagating. But a small display for viewing. I just add different shows, 5 episodes at a time, no folders and then my friends just fast forward past the shows they have listened to . once they have listen to all the shows I just reload with another 70 to eighty shows.
to keep track, I keep a spread sheet of all the shows I have loaded.
For times that I can't do it for them I have loaded the shows on a USB stick for their family to load for them.

I live in Calgary, Alberta, Canada so I am tring to get some of my wifes friends to buy a few more for me and then ship them out. That way I can donate a few to the various Senior homes libraries for loan outs
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mysteryshows.com Forum Index -> Lounge All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: