Mysteryshows.com Forum Index Mysteryshows.com
Discuss old time radio here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Introducing myself...

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Steve

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 8:36 am    Post subject: Introducing myself... Reply with quote

Hello everyone!

Thought I’d introduce myself. My name is Steve and I live in Maine. My wife and I run an auto detailing business. In fact we’ve been working together for the past 12 years, how does she put up with me? The economy has hit us a bit and I may go back into the real world and collect a paycheck. But that’s neither here or there.

I’ve been interested in OTR for the past 27 years (btw, I’m 51). A local AM station celebrated it’s 40th anniversary in 1972 by playing old shows. On that day I heard “The Lone Ranger”, “The Shadow”, “Gangbusters”, “Dragnet” and the Mercury Theater’s “War of The Worlds”. It all piqued my interest. Then in the 70’s, I got hooked on “The CBS Radio Mystery Theater”.

About 3 years ago, I rediscovered my interest in OTR thanks to the internet. I bought some shows from otrcat.com and the radiolady.com. Now I’m super psyched to find this site and archive.org. I’m not going to miss TV too much at all! I got rid of our satellite in 2002 and now there aren’t too many shows I really care for. “The Biggest Loser” and the news are exceptions. My wife is the TV freak.

I hope to be an active participant in this forum and get to know you folks better. I will write to Brad and let him know of shows I have but don’t see in the club. Then I’ll try to figure out how to upload them with FTP.

Shows I really like are “You Bet Your Life”, “Our Miss Brooks” (Hi Shirley, saw your profile pic.), “Gunsmoke”, “The CBSRMT”, “Suspense” and “Bing Crosby and Rosemary Clooney Show”. Love that Rosemary!!!

See you ‘round the clubhouse.

Steve
crich70

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Steve welcome to the group. I agree with you about the quality of shows on the tv today. I can remember programs that were in 1st run in the early 70's (I'm 38 ) and programming back then was a lot better than now. Reality shows? If I want reality all I have to do is look out the window. I'll find plenty of it there. lol. I got my own 1st taste of OTR with CBS Radio Mystery theater. I'd lie on my parents bed and listen to the radio. Got back into it with some OTR programs through ebay and later found this site and zoot radio along with archive.org. You can't beat OTR for pure entertainment I think.
Brad
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve,

A big welcome to our forum and our club. It's great to have you here. I too agree about the quality of TV now a days. I have cable TV. I do like the documentaries. Shows about nature, history and travel, that kind of thing. I never thought I'd be old enough to hear me saying that. Smile

I'm not much for reality shows either. Instead of watching others do stuff, I'd rather go outside and take care of my yard or push my Grandson on his swing.

It's nice to go back in time and listen to programs that actually have a plot and a good story to them.

Brad
human

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, network TV these days is downright abysmal. Economic necessity recently caused me to abandon cable and pick up a couple of government coupons for digital converter boxes. Even though I get about 10 channels downstairs and 15 upstairs, there's not much worth watching, especially considering that half the channels I get seem to specialize in religious programming. Did I mention I live in the South? About the only show that I can categorize as a 'must-see' is Lost. The worst part of digital TV where I am is that I can't pick up a PBS station. That would have helped curb my withdrawal from the more intelligent programming I previously enjoyed on Discovery, the History Channel, and the National Geographic channel.
Brad
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

human wrote:
Yes, network TV these days is downright abysmal. Economic necessity recently caused me to abandon cable and pick up a couple of government coupons for digital converter boxes. Even though I get about 10 channels downstairs and 15 upstairs, there's not much worth watching, especially considering that half the channels I get seem to specialize in religious programming. Did I mention I live in the South? About the only show that I can categorize as a 'must-see' is Lost. The worst part of digital TV where I am is that I can't pick up a PBS station. That would have helped curb my withdrawal from the more intelligent programming I previously enjoyed on Discovery, the History Channel, and the National Geographic channel.

Human

Even with 200 channels, there's still nothing to watch. Laughing
You're right. PBS is a very good channel. Intelligent programming is mostly a lost art now a days. Whatever makes the most money is what goes on the air, no matter how silly or bad for children it is. A shame really.

When my Grandson gets older, I think we'll listen together to some of the better OTR kid's shows. Plus, I already bought him a cowboy hat and a Lone Range DVD. Don't worry, I'll be wearing my hat too. Very Happy

Brad
crich70

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most of the shows on tv seem to be clones of one another now too. Different name, different casts, but the same things go on. Cookie cutter programing I think is a good way to describe it. Discovery and PBS and other stations like them are good, but most of what's left is just plain junk. If you want good tv entertainment you have to buy DVD's of classic shows, something that's hard to do sometimes with the fact that a season of some programs runs at least $50.00 if not more.

Brad wrote:
human wrote:

Human

You're right. PBS is a very good channel. Intelligent programming is mostly a lost art now a days. Whatever makes the most money is what goes on the air, no matter how silly or bad for children it is. A shame really.

When my Grandson gets older, I think we'll listen together to some of the better OTR kid's shows. Plus, I already bought him a cowboy hat and a Lone Range DVD. Don't worry, I'll be wearing my hat too. Very Happy

Brad
Brad
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

crich70 wrote:
Most of the shows on tv seem to be clones of one another now too. Different name, different casts, but the same things go on. Cookie cutter programing I think is a good way to describe it. Discovery and PBS and other stations like them are good, but most of what's left is just plain junk. If you want good tv entertainment you have to buy DVD's of classic shows, something that's hard to do sometimes with the fact that a season of some programs runs at least $50.00 if not more.

Brad wrote:
human wrote:

Human

Brad

Charles,

I find some good stuff on Amazon.com sometimes. Once you find the show you want, you can see if someone is selling it used and get it for way less. I don't mind buying used movies and so far, I have never received a bad one.

Brad
Steve

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brad, Charles and Human,

Thanks for the welcome and sharing your take on the state of current TV. It is pretty dismal. I remember when TV Land came on. It showed a lot of the classics along with the old commercials (retro-mercials). But like everything else they ruined it and now it is just a former shell of itself, judging by looking at the listings.

I was thinking of posting this in the topic of where to buy OTR CD’s and DVD’s, but I’ll do it here. One more place where I’ve bought OTR is at http://www.old-time.com/sponsors/mercer.html . Mr. Mercer who runs the site has a gigantic catalog of items. Some of them are in the best condition. Consider he has original transcriptions of “The Mel Blanc Show” that Mel Blanc gave to him! He has worked in the industry and collected for years. Request both his OTR and old time TV catalogs, you won’t be disappointed. Or PM me here with your email and I will forward copies of mine to you. His web site used to have it all listed, but as he says he’s getting older and just e-mails them now.

For those of you who are interested in TV shows from the past with many unavailable elsewhere (remember “It’s About Time” or “Car 54, Where Are You?”) you will enjoy his catalog. The products come from collectors and he grades each entry for sound and picture quality.

Oh yeah, in his OTR catalog (although I didn’t see it mentioned this time, but he still has it available) is a external hard drive with all the OTR on it for $1200. A bit too pricey for me, but one can dream.

See you ‘round the clubhouse.

Steve
Brad
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve,

Thanks for the info. Years ago, my wife and I used to watch "TV Land" shows. Mr. Ed, My Three Sons and all of the other great old shows. I miss that. It was fun.

Brad
human

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One saving grace is I live near a public library that has a pretty impressive collection of DVDs that can be checked out for free. I've been digging deeply into that for the past year.
Brad
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

human wrote:
One saving grace is I live near a public library that has a pretty impressive collection of DVDs that can be checked out for free. I've been digging deeply into that for the past year.

Before mp3 players came out, there were audio books on tape that I used to listen to on the way to work and back (didn't have a CD player in my truck back then) . 3.5 hours round trip. we live is a small village of about 10,000 people, but our library had a massive collection of great shows. They really made being stuck in rush-hour traffic a lot more bearable.

Brad
shirleypearl

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree that the selection of tv shows on tv today is pathetic. My husband and I watch dvds of classic tv. I get some of them from Amazon.com, andsome from a couple of stores in our area that sell them.

We also both listen to OTR a lot. He always says I got him hooked on it, but I really only downloaded some great shows and he keeps listening to them.

BTW, welcome to the forum, Steve. You will find lots of great things to listen to in the Members Club. Our Miss Brooks is my favorite show and I listen to it very often.

Shirley
crich70

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2009 5:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I stick mostly to DVD's of movies rather than the tv shows as yet (I have about 1,000 DVD's now that I've collected over the last few yrs. Some of them $5.00 bargains at Wal-mart) and of course listening to OTR, as well as reading. There are a lot of good books for download as text files at places like Gutenberg and "The Online Books Page." They've even put together DVD's full of books in that format.
Even the Harvard Classics are available for download (in mobipocket format)
http://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/Harvard_Classics_Available_at_MobileRead
The reader is available for free download at http://www.mobipocket.com .

shirleypearl wrote:
I agree that the selection of tv shows on tv today is pathetic. My husband and I watch dvds of classic tv. I get some of them from Amazon.com, andsome from a couple of stores in our area that sell them.

We also both listen to OTR a lot. He always says I got him hooked on it, but I really only downloaded some great shows and he keeps listening to them.

BTW, welcome to the forum, Steve. You will find lots of great things to listen to in the Members Club. Our Miss Brooks is my favorite show and I listen to it very often.

Shirley
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mysteryshows.com Forum Index -> Lounge All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: