Mysteryshows.com Forum Index Mysteryshows.com
Discuss old time radio here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Gunsmoke; Still Cool after 50 years

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Phred

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 9:44 pm    Post subject: Gunsmoke; Still Cool after 50 years Reply with quote

I really love Gunsmoke. I remember listening as a kid but honestly find only the music and intro farmiliar. Same with The Shadow.

I never thought the Internet would turn out to be chiefly a vector for entertainment for me! Thanks for such a great resource
crich70

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 5:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree Gunsmoke (the OTR version) is very entertaining. I've got a set of 5 CD's with episodes of the series on them. Sometimes in the past I've listened to William Conrad as Marshall Dillon while out on a walk (using a cd player that can play Mp3 files). Haven't heard a bad episode yet.
human

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

William Conrad played a good Matt Dillon on radio, every bit the equal of James Arness on TV. Even though Conrad was something of an action star on screen in his younger days, I can't help but visualize him as the morbidly obese figure he was later in life. This is highly incongruous with my mental image of Matt Dillon. It's an unfortunate instance of having too much information to work with while listening to OTR.
crich70

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it's that lack of 'visual' info. that makes so much OTR work so well. You the listener get to make up the pictures in your own mind rather than depending on the people who produced it to do it for you.

human wrote:
William Conrad played a good Matt Dillon on radio, every bit the equal of James Arness on TV. Even though Conrad was something of an action star on screen in his younger days, I can't help but visualize him as the morbidly obese figure he was later in life. This is highly incongruous with my mental image of Matt Dillon. It's an unfortunate instance of having too much information to work with while listening to OTR.
hangman3364

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oddly enough, I never see Matt Dillon as a large Bill Conrad. He's such a powerful actor that never enters my mind.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mysteryshows.com Forum Index -> Western All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: