Mysteryshows.com Forum Index Mysteryshows.com
Discuss old time radio here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

There really *is* a Chicken Heart Lights Out!!!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Adeny

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 8:43 pm    Post subject: There really *is* a Chicken Heart Lights Out!!! Reply with quote

Sorry, I had to share my delight at this. Of course I am referring to the Bill Cosby sketch about sneaking out of bed to listen to the radio, and hearing the Lights Out about the chicken heart. And putting Jell-0 on the floor.

When I first got into OTR I looked for this episode, but never found it. I was kind of disappointed. I figured it wasn't out there.

Imagine my delight when I found it on the Lights Out list!!! I am listening to it now, and squealing. This is awesome.

I love this site!!
Mike Hobart

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 5:47 pm    Post subject: Cos Reply with quote

Yeah, that's a great sketch. I suppose back when he first started doing it there wouldn't have been a lot of people around who remembered Lights Out in the mainstream audience.

Maybe the Cos should get a star on the radio hall of fame just for reminding people that there used to be such a thing as radio drama!
Brad
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 7:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Cos Reply with quote

Mike Hobart wrote:
Yeah, that's a great sketch. I suppose back when he first started doing it there wouldn't have been a lot of people around who remembered Lights Out in the mainstream audience.

Maybe the Cos should get a star on the radio hall of fame just for reminding people that there used to be such a thing as radio drama!

I'm old enough to remember only having Black & White TV, but just imagine sitting around the radio and actually listening to radio shows.
It's too bad our power never goes out around here. I'd love to light up the candles and let the kids listen to some spooky old shows. When I was a kid, the power went out all the time. Oh well, that's progress.

Brad
gilinaz

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2007 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was always hoping that they would make an extended version of "The Dark", as a movie. They could get Stephen King as the screenwriter Very Happy
crich70

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've listened to the episode in question. It's just a few minutes long but scary. I wonder how Mr. Obler came up with so many nightmarish ideas for his stories.
harrietvane

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a similar thrill when I discovered this. I had the Bill Cosby album and loved it, used to tell the story at sleepovers and scare all my friends.

Weird thing is, I have a memory of the actual Lights Out episode starting earlier in the story -- when I've looked it up later, the versions I find seem to start more in the middle of things, with the heart already on the loose. I guess I could be misremembering or conflating two different stories but I remember a flighty group of women visiting the professor's lab and knocking over the beaker or whatever containing the heart, setting it free...

Anyone else know if a longer version of the story exists out there somewhere? Regardless, it's so terrifying!
dialturner

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2009 6:31 pm    Post subject: Chicken Heart Lights Out episode Reply with quote

Back in the Sixties, Arch Obler produced an LP recording of abbrieviated radio skits that he had written. It was called "Drop Dead" with a photo of a skull on the album. Among the skits were both "The Dark" and "The Chicken Heart." My understanding is that the original recording of the Chicken Heart was lost or destroyed years ago. It featured Hans Conried as the professor who tries to get the heart destroyed. He winds up escaping in an airplane with another guy but unfortunately the plane conks out in mid-air. You can log onto a website which has both the script and the recording and listen and read at the same time. At the time Cosby did his recording, I don't think that many people remembered "Lights Out." They did remember "Inner Sanctum" which he also mentions, because this one was on radio longer and was on television.
harrietvane

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow. I could have sworn I actually heard the episode -- I believe on the Radio Channel in iTunes. Now I have to go looking again...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mysteryshows.com Forum Index -> Horror All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: