Mysteryshows.com Forum Index Mysteryshows.com
Discuss old time radio here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What's your favorite old time radio music show or song?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Brad
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 9:08 am    Post subject: What's your favorite old time radio music show or song? Reply with quote

"In the Mood" is one of my all time favorites. We have a copy in our music sampler folder. The file is "In the Mood - Big Band.mp3".

http://www.mysteryshows.com/music-samples/

Brad
shirleypearl

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Judy Garland and Baby Snooks sing a song together called "Why, Because". I believe that is in the member's area, too. I really like that song a lot.

Shirley
Harlow Wilcox

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My favorites are Glenn Miller and Benny Goodman
Swing Is The Thing!
Heather

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 5:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a hard one - there are so many good ones out there.

As for variety shows, "Good News of 1938/1939/1940" is a particular favorite. It always features good music, good acting, some comedy in the form of Baby Snooks, and of course MGM's top-notch production values. I don't see it in the members area here, but many episodes are available at archive.org. I have managed to track down a few that aren't there and I have organized the files, so if people want it, I can send my collection to this site. (The Baby Snooks skits from 1937-mid-1940 in the members area are from "Good News".)

I also like Rudy Vallee's hour-long shows from the 1930's; they feature good pre-swing music, radio dramas, and comedy. There are a few available here, but I've managed to gather together more from various sites, and as soon as I'm done verifying and relabeling the mis-labeled ones, I can add to the selection.

Also among my favorites are the various big band radio shows. A good many Benny Goodman and Glenn Miller shows are readily available, and they are always good. Also, I like the early 1930's shows. Survival is spotty, but there are good ones around.

If there is interest here in increasing the selection of music programs, I actively collect them and have assembled a decent collection. Let me know if you want more, and I'll start to ftp them over.

Heather
Heather

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 5:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just noticed that many "Good News" programs are in fact here, filed under the sponsor - Maxwell House. I have some that aren't here; if you want to fill out the collection, I'll send them.

Heather
Brad
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heather wrote:
I just noticed that many "Good News" programs are in fact here, filed under the sponsor - Maxwell House. I have some that aren't here; if you want to fill out the collection, I'll send them.

Heather

Heather,

That would be great. Here are instructions to send us shows:

http://mysteryshows.com/OTR/viewtopic.php?t=143&highlight=ftp+instructions

Thanks,

Brad
Heather

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've started the transfer for the Maxwell House Good News programs. When the file "440022_104_Warren_Williams.mp3" (14467091 bytes) is there, it will be done. There are 24 files, and being hour-long programs, they are a bit large, so it could take a while.

They are located in /Heather/good_news__maxwell_house

I'll also send the Rudy Vallee programs soon since you already have a section for that series. I just need to verify one or two of them. I know more exist than what I have, but my collection will help to fill out the club's collection until more show up.

If you want any other music/variety programs, just say the word. I've accumulated many.

Heather
Brad
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heather wrote:
I've started the transfer for the Maxwell House Good News programs. When the file "440022_104_Warren_Williams.mp3" (14467091 bytes) is there, it will be done. There are 24 files, and being hour-long programs, they are a bit large, so it could take a while.

They are located in /Heather/good_news__maxwell_house

I'll also send the Rudy Vallee programs soon since you already have a section for that series. I just need to verify one or two of them. I know more exist than what I have, but my collection will help to fill out the club's collection until more show up.

If you want any other music/variety programs, just say the word. I've accumulated many.

Heather

Thanks a lot Heather. Very Happy

Brad
crich70

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2010 7:06 am    Post subject: Re: What's your favorite old time radio music show or song? Reply with quote

I'm with you Brad. Glenn Miller is great especially "In The Mood."
Brad wrote:
"In the Mood" is one of my all time favorites. We have a copy in our music sampler folder. The file is "In the Mood - Big Band.mp3".

http://www.mysteryshows.com/music-samples/

Brad
boston blackie

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2010 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like Glen Miller as well. But, must say, I also like the Andrew Sisters and Bing Crosby.
human

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2010 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally, I'm more of a Duke Ellington fan when it comes to big band/swing era music, but for jazz in general, my tastes run more toward Miles Davis and John Coltrane with maybe a little Thelonius Monk thrown in for good measure.
Brodon

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 3:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I realy like it .I appericate this thread.Awesome! Thanks for that!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mysteryshows.com Forum Index -> Music Shows All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: