Mysteryshows.com Forum Index Mysteryshows.com
Discuss old time radio here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

I just found out I like OTR comedy
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Brad
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2007 8:18 pm    Post subject: I just found out I like OTR comedy Reply with quote

I usually just listen to old time radio mysteries, but the other day I listened to a few episodes of Father Knows Best. I found myself laughing out loud. I never thought I'd enjoy the comedy show this much.

What are more real funny old time radio comedy shows that you think are good?

Brad
Brad
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 7:15 pm    Post subject: Re: I just found out I like OTR comedy Reply with quote

Brad wrote:
I usually just listen to old time radio mysteries, but the other day I listened to a few episodes of Father Knows Best. I found myself laughing out loud. I never thought I'd enjoy the comedy show this much.

Brad

Come on now, 168 views and no one has a comedy show they like?
You know you want to post. Go ahead, it's fun Smile We really do want to hear from you!

Brad
Mike Hobart

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 7:30 am    Post subject: wistful vista Reply with quote

I like the old Fibber McGee & Molly series a lot. It's silly, sure, but it's a lot of fun. I'm listening to some from the 1940s at the moment and they appeal to my sense of humor.

The show was so popular that it even spawned the first successful spin-off The Great Gildersleeve. (Funny but lacks the cheerful anarchy of Fibber McGee)
Adeny

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2007 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am still warming up to comedy. I have a few on one of those tape sets I bought, I enjoyed them. Jack Benny, The Bickersons...etc. I'll have to try out some others.
Brad
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2007 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Adeny wrote:
I am still warming up to comedy. I have a few on one of those tape sets I bought, I enjoyed them. Jack Benny, The Bickersons...etc. I'll have to try out some others.

Try "Father Knows Best". I didn't think I'd like them too much but tried them anyway. I'm glad I did. Really good shows. Very funny!

Brad
shirleypearl

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My very favorite show is OUR MISS BROOKS. I have most of the episodes memorized and never get tired of listening to them over and over. Some of the episodes are just too funny. I do also really like FATHER KNOWS BEST and OZZIE AND HARRIET and THE GREAT GILDERSLEEVE and FIBBER McGEE and MOLLY and MY FRIEND IRMA and DUFFY'S TAVERN and ARCHIE ANDREWS.

There are some shows I have recently learned about. One of them is THE SMITHS OF HOLLYWOOD.

Shirley
catfreak

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My taste in OTR comedy doesn't seem to be the norm . . .

I like Chickenman, The Tooth Fairy and The Story Lady . . . the programs are short and to the point. Just the ticket for a western loving OTR fan who has trouble laughing at a radio . . .

Victor

at 9:05am on Jan 27th, my buddy left me
                 R.I.P. my loving friend
A righteous man regards the life of his animal
majorshaw

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm like catfreak, those are my 3 choice's. only other collect is old gold comedy theather. Someone new every week
MADAYMADAY

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 4:58 pm    Post subject: Favorite Comedy Shows Reply with quote

My top favorite after years of listening is the Bickersons. I find myself laughing outloud over and over to that show! Then, I love Burns and Allen. Jack Benny has funny moments but his television show definitely beat the jokes on the radio show, although he was a huge hit. If you love I love Lucy, then My Favorite Husband will crack you up, thats where they got most of the tv scripts from!
Happy Listening...its a wonderful hobby and I also love SciFi(X-1 and Suspense are my two favorites) but its great to laugh once in a while!
Janet
hangman3364

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As mentioned before Fibber McGee and Molly is always worthwihle.
I'm a big fan of Ozzie and Harriet. Of course the Life of Riley is another favorite as is My Favorite Husband.

Some lesser names, but some I've discovered on the Archive, The Smiths of Hollywood and the Magnificent Montague are both entertaining shows.

I've only just started listening to Life with Luigi. It was a little different at first but I found myself laughing at it more and more.
shirleypearl

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I enjoy the comedy shows the most. I like a lot of the ones that have already been mentioned in this thread, but probably the comedy I like the most of all is Our Miss Brooks. That might not be a secret if you notice my avator. I also find The Aldridge Family and Father Knows Best really funny. I really like Archie Andrews, too. Daryl already mentioned the Smiths of Hollywood, but I listen to that a lot, too.

Shirley
arkie44

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fibber McGee is probably my favorite.
airlanes

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try "Phil Harris & Alice Faye." Others already mentioned that I would also recommend are "Fibber McGee & Molly", "Our Miss Brooks". Also Love "Bob Hope," "Jack Benny" and "Burns and Allen." The list can easily become a very long one.

Airlanes
johnraym

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 7:23 pm    Post subject: comedies Reply with quote

My favorite is Red Skelton, the King of inneundo. He could make a risque comment that would have you laughing five minutes after he said it. He would do it without uttering one four letter word. He always struck me as a gentle soul. And his closing line- "Good night and may God bless" was always said with a genuine quality that left me feeling better.
human

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"My Favorite Husband" is a fave of mine. Stars Lucille Ball and her character is very similar to her Lucy Ricardo character from "I Love Lucy".

Although it's not a radio show per se, I also like Moran & Mack's "Two Black Crows" comedy records from the late '20s. It's sort of a forerunner of "Amos 'n' Andy"--very politically incorrect by today's standards--but if you can get past the minstrel show premise, or at least accept it as an artifact of its era, it's pretty darned funny in a corny sort of way.
Brad
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

human wrote:
"My Favorite Husband" is a fave of mine. Stars Lucille Ball and her character is very similar to her Lucy Ricardo character from "I Love Lucy".

Although it's not a radio show per se, I also like Moran & Mack's "Two Black Crows" comedy records from the late '20s. It's sort of a forerunner of "Amos 'n' Andy"--very politically incorrect by today's standards--but if you can get past the minstrel show premise, or at least accept it as an artifact of its era, it's pretty darned funny in a corny sort of way.

Edwin (Human),

Thanks for the donation of the Moran & Mack shows. They're in the members directory if anyone would like to give them a listen.

Brad
human

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To be honest, I'm enjoying sharing some of my favorites as much as I am listening to new stuff that I haven't heard before. Thanks Brad for providing a venue to make that possible.
Harlow Wilcox

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My all time favorite is Fibber McGee and Molly. Second favorite Jack Benny.
Of course I love all the old time radio shows but Fibber is still the best. That show has made me laugh thru good times and bad over the last 30 years. I don't know how anybody could say they can't stand Fib! But, everybody's different!

Britt
simonmagus

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2009 3:52 pm    Post subject: Re: I just found out I like OTR comedy Reply with quote

Brad wrote:

Brad

Too many to mention as the greatest comedians of all time were all on OTR.

My favorites; Any thing with Groucho Marx in it. Listen to the "You Bet your Life" shows. But also Jack Benny, Burns and Allen, Abbott and Costello, Laurel and Hardy, Red Skelton, Edgar Burgen and Charlie McCarthy and that's just off the top of my head.

Enjoy
Samuel Spulman
(author of "The Shadow of Samuel Spulman" www.amazon.com)
dosouth

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 8:52 pm    Post subject: Without a doubt Reply with quote

Dad's Army by far followed by Beyond our Ken and Round the Horn. Fibber and Red Skelton but regardless they are wonderful peeks at the past................
Radio Will

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2010 5:03 pm    Post subject: I like Comedy Reply with quote

Hey Brad!

Among my favorites are Amos & Andy and Jack Benny.

The more shows you listen to the funnier they get, because you get to experience the character development and, especially with shows like Benny, are usually privy to the 'inside' humor that relates back to previous shows.

Thanks for Listening
Radio Will
oddjob

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2010 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Happy you might want to listen to some of the british comedy such as dads army,the men from the ministry, hancocks half hour,round the horne
Jimbo

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 5:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I enjoy comedy the best. There are some good ones. My favorites are:

Fibber McGee and Molly (Easily the best comedy around. It's funny, punny and the list of characters really makes the show comparable to "The Simpsons" - at least that's what I'd say if I were writing a book about the show.)

Phil Harris/Alice Faye Show - Not so funny but it's always very entertaining to see what kind of mess they are going to get themselves into.

Baby Snooks - I can't help but LOL listening to this show.

Great Gildersleeve (with Harold Peary - not the William Waterman episodes half-way through the series)

Milton Berle (very underrated show; has a lot of ad-libbing humor and the recurring characters are wonderful)
Zap

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 1:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm kind of in the opposite camp- I've always loved the radio comedies, and have only recently discovered I like the drama and mystery shows as well.

I love most of the comedy shows listed here that I've heard.

Phil Harris is such a favorite radio personality of mine I'm able to overlook the flaws of his show and just enjoy them. It's also because I like that Phil and Alice were such an interesting couple in real life- I like how they both stuck together and Alice pretty much gave up her movie career to do what they both enjoyed.

There are a few episodes I've heard that capture Phil's more adult-oriented audience warm up before the show that I consider priceless.

Of course my all-time favorite is Lum and Abner. Very Happy

I've never heard Father Knows Best- I'll have to give that one a listen. Also, I've only ever heard a small handful of Fibber McGee and Molly. I'll have to delve more into that show. It's great having stuff to look forward to listening to. Very Happy
Jimbo

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 4:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zap wrote:
I'm kind of in the opposite camp- I've always loved the radio comedies, and have only recently discovered I like the drama and mystery shows as well.

I love most of the comedy shows listed here that I've heard.

Phil Harris is such a favorite radio personality of mine I'm able to overlook the flaws of his show and just enjoy them. It's also because I like that Phil and Alice were such an interesting couple in real life- I like how they both stuck together and Alice pretty much gave up her movie career to do what they both enjoyed.

There are a few episodes I've heard that capture Phil's more adult-oriented audience warm up before the show that I consider priceless.

Of course my all-time favorite is Lum and Abner. Very Happy

I've never heard Father Knows Best- I'll have to give that one a listen. Also, I've only ever heard a small handful of Fibber McGee and Molly. I'll have to delve more into that show. It's great having stuff to look forward to listening to. Very Happy

Robert Tetley (Julias Abruzio in the Phil Harris Show) was an older teen (I believe) on the Phil Harris Show. He was quite an actor.

He's a regular on the Great Gildersleeve show and he's very talented and funny. I also have heard him do guest appearances on other shows, like FIbber & Molly.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mysteryshows.com Forum Index -> Comedy All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: