Mysteryshows.com Forum Index Mysteryshows.com
Discuss old time radio here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How Do You Listen To Your OTR Shows?

View previous topic :: View next topic  

How Do You Listen To The Shows
Click and Listen Online
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Download and Listen Later On the Computer
11%
 11%  [ 2 ]
Download Them To A Cell Phone
11%
 11%  [ 2 ]
Download Them To An MP3 Player, Like An IPOD
77%
 77%  [ 14 ]
Total Votes : 18

Brad
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 3:52 pm    Post subject: How Do You Listen To Your OTR Shows? Reply with quote

Let's take a poll and see how we like to enjoy old time radio shows the best.

There are lot's of ways to enjoy shows that are in mp3 format. I like to download them to my phone so I always have some with me. I can just play them through the phone speaker or use headphones.

How do you like to listen to them? Feel free to post messages in this thread too.

Brad
boston blackie

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just voted for listening to IPOD. I load up about 90 shows and listen to them during my bed time hours. You might say, my bed time stories. If I fall asleep during any of the shows for that evening, then I can listen again to them to their conclusion.
Brad
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

boston blackie wrote:
I just voted for listening to IPOD. I load up about 90 shows and listen to them during my bed time hours. You might say, my bed time stories. If I fall asleep during any of the shows for that evening, then I can listen again to them to their conclusion.

Do you hook up the ipod to external speakers?

Brad
human

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For my purposes, the poll was a bit flawed, because I could only select one option, when I actually use two. I download shows to my iPod, but I also just click and listen to them on the Web site. Often, I'll listen to one or two shows of a series on the site to help me decide whether to download all of them. I'd say the split is about 70% iPod and 30% click and listen.

I listen to my iPod mostly through headphones (not earbuds), but I occasionally plug it into some old computer speakers. In the car, I use a cassette adapter. Yeah, my car is 15 years old and has a cassette player.
Brad
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have a "smart phone" like an android or iphone, you can access the site and listen to all of the shows online, right over your phone. This is only good if you have an unlimited data plan as some of the shows are pretty big.

I tried this on a few different phones. The shows usually start playing right away while the file continues to download in the background. This way you can always have over 45,000 shows with you to listen to Very Happy

Brad
boston blackie

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brad, we bought a Bose docking station with speakers. It did cost $300 at the time, but, for us and all the entertainment it has given us, makes it well worth it. If you have the money, try it. Plus the quality of the speakers is terrific.
Zap

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2010 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I download shows and listen to them on my iPod Touch and also my Android phone, but I don't actually move the mp3 files to either device.

Instead, I found a server application called Subsonic that let's me leave the shows (multiple gigs of them, along with all my music) on my PC, and then stream the shows wirelessly to other devices. In fact, as long as I have a wifi connection, I can listen to the shows from anywhere. I use a Subsonic client app called iSub for the iPod Touch, and the Android client on my phone.

Subsonic was super easy to setup, and lots of cool extras that let me sort by any criteria I want, and make playlists of the shows I want to hear at any given time. I highly recommend it for anyone that's even slightly tech-saavy. It's free to start with, but ultimately costs about US $20 for a donation to unlock all the server features (like web access) and for the iSub client app on an iPod Touch or iPhone. (Free on Android though.) For me, it was well worth it.

(And no, I'm not affiliated with them in any way, it was just a good solution for me that I'd been looking for for years since I dislike the hassle of having to copy shows directly to my devices. If I suddenly have an urge to hear some obscure series in my collection, it's a click away, rather than having to copy to my device, or bother to track it down online. Also- it does let me download files directly to my device if I'm going to be beyond wifi or 3G range and want to listen to something- say, in the car. )
Brad
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zap wrote:
I download shows and listen to them on my iPod Touch and also my Android phone, but I don't actually move the mp3 files to either device.

Instead, I found a server application called Subsonic that let's me leave the shows (multiple gigs of them, along with all my music) on my PC, and then stream the shows wirelessly to other devices. In fact, as long as I have a wifi connection, I can listen to the shows from anywhere. I use a Subsonic client app called iSub for the iPod Touch, and the Android client on my phone.

Subsonic was super easy to setup, and lots of cool extras that let me sort by any criteria I want, and make playlists of the shows I want to hear at any given time. I highly recommend it for anyone that's even slightly tech-saavy. It's free to start with, but ultimately costs about US $20 for a donation to unlock all the server features (like web access) and for the iSub client app on an iPod Touch or iPhone. (Free on Android though.) For me, it was well worth it.

(And no, I'm not affiliated with them in any way, it was just a good solution for me that I'd been looking for for years since I dislike the hassle of having to copy shows directly to my devices. If I suddenly have an urge to hear some obscure series in my collection, it's a click away, rather than having to copy to my device, or bother to track it down online. Also- it does let me download files directly to my device if I'm going to be beyond wifi or 3G range and want to listen to something- say, in the car. )

Sounds like you have a nice set-up there. I just got a Mytouch 4g and I love it. Had a blackberry for three years but saw my daughter's android and loved the screen and the sliding windows and especially the web browser. The blackberry had a small screen and a terrible web browser.

I tested the android and it can stream any of our shows just fine. I forgot to load my "Father Knows Best" shows on my phone the other day so I just logged into the members area and played them from there. That's my favorite show.

Brad
Zap

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2010 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Mytouch 4G is a nice device, Brad.
I'm a big fan of Android as well. At first, I wanted an iPhone, but after seeing the Droid phones I lost most of my interest in the iPhone.

Also, we've had a whole slew of iPods, and as nice as they are, each model just gets less and less battery life. I had the first gen iPod Touch, and I never even worried about the battery life- it would go for 3 days or more of average use without me having to charge it. Then my wife got the 3rd gen and it only lasts about a day before it needs a charge. Now she has the 4th gen, (so I got her 3rd gen.) The 4th gen is really thin and sleek, but it can barely keep up for a single day of use!

I keep my old 1st gen around exclusively for my car.

Anyway, I'm really happy with my DroidX as far as phones. Have you tried PowerAMP yet? It's my favorite player for Android- I've replaced the stock music app with it. It has a really nice interface and great controls, and a very useful desktop widget. (Another thing I really prefer over the iOS).

Happy Thanksgiving everyone!
Brad
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2010 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zap wrote:
The Mytouch 4G is a nice device, Brad.
I'm a big fan of Android as well. At first, I wanted an iPhone, but after seeing the Droid phones I lost most of my interest in the iPhone.

Also, we've had a whole slew of iPods, and as nice as they are, each model just gets less and less battery life. I had the first gen iPod Touch, and I never even worried about the battery life- it would go for 3 days or more of average use without me having to charge it. Then my wife got the 3rd gen and it only lasts about a day before it needs a charge. Now she has the 4th gen, (so I got her 3rd gen.) The 4th gen is really thin and sleek, but it can barely keep up for a single day of use!

I keep my old 1st gen around exclusively for my car.

Anyway, I'm really happy with my DroidX as far as phones. Have you tried PowerAMP yet? It's my favorite player for Android- I've replaced the stock music app with it. It has a really nice interface and great controls, and a very useful desktop widget. (Another thing I really prefer over the iOS).

Happy Thanksgiving everyone!

Yes I use power amp. It's great. My daughter just got an iPhone 4. I think she wanted it because all of her friends have one.

My android phone gets terrible battery life too. I just bought two spare batteries and a charger. That should help. I'll just charge them and carry them with me if I have to be away for the day.

Happy Thanksgiving!

Brad
Zap

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2010 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can understand the battery life of a smartphone being limited, but it surprises me with an iPod which was supposed to be mainly just a standalone music player. Or at least, it started out that way and now has morphed into everything else and the kitchen sink- with playing music being an after thought.

I'm pretty happy with my DroidX's battery life- I get a good work day's use out of it without worrying about the battery, which suits me fine. Granted- I remember cell phones I had that I never worried about charging for days on end but then, those were the days when a phone was just a phone, not a pocket computer/portable entertainment center.
Brad
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zap wrote:
I can understand the battery life of a smartphone being limited, but it surprises me with an iPod which was supposed to be mainly just a standalone music player. Or at least, it started out that way and now has morphed into everything else and the kitchen sink- with playing music being an after thought.

I'm pretty happy with my DroidX's battery life- I get a good work day's use out of it without worrying about the battery, which suits me fine. Granted- I remember cell phones I had that I never worried about charging for days on end but then, those were the days when a phone was just a phone, not a pocket computer/portable entertainment center.

The gold old days, when a phone was just to call people Laughing
Now they really are a pocket computer. I don't even mind getting stuck waiting at the mall for my wife to finish shopping anymore. I can listen to music, old time radio, watch movies, read books, instant messsage, browse the web and even call a friend on the phone if I want to.

Maybe that's why my battery doesn't last very long. I'm always playing with the phone because it does so much. My wife just has the plain flip phone. Her battery lasts for days. She always reminds me of it when she sees me messing with the car charger Wink

Brad
Zap

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brad wrote:
I don't even mind getting stuck waiting at the mall for my wife to finish shopping anymore. I can listen to music, old time radio, watch movies, read books, instant messsage, browse the web and even call a friend on the phone if I want to.

I'm the same way. I actually find myself looking forward to some good 'wait' time to get in some quality "Angry Birds" time, or read a digital book, web surf, etc.

Quote:
My wife just has the plain flip phone. Her battery lasts for days. She always reminds me of it when she sees me messing with the car charger Wink

Haha! Exactly the same in our household. My wife isn't eligible for an upgrade for a few more months, so even though I know she's sick of me yapping about my Android phone, "And look, it does this, and it does this blah blah" I know she can't wait to one-up me and get something even better than mine! She's a huge 'book on tape' fan more than radio shows, so I know she'll loving having those on her phone.
gooby

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2011 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brad wrote:
If you have a "smart phone" like an android or iphone, you can access the site and listen to all of the shows online, right over your phone. This is only good if you have an unlimited data plan as some of the shows are pretty big.

I tried this on a few different phones. The shows usually start playing right away while the file continues to download in the background. This way you can always have over 45,000 shows with you to listen to Very Happy

Brad

Thank you! I enjoy your site the most out of all of the OTR sites I've seen, and I wanted an iPod app that I could use which would allow me to listen to the shows while not at home (I have a wi-fi mobile adapter). For some reason it never dawned on me to see if I could listen to the shows through the device's web browser. It works beautifully.

Does the mp3 file get fully downloaded after a few minutes? Or does it download partially until I get to a certain point, and then download some more until I get to a farther point in the file, etc? Any idea?

Thanks again!

Oooooh, I just realized I can navigate (rewind or fast forward) through the show as needed. Yaaay!
Brad
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2011 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gooby wrote:
Brad wrote:

Brad

Thank you! I enjoy your site the most out of all of the OTR sites I've seen, and I wanted an iPod app that I could use which would allow me to listen to the shows while not at home (I have a wi-fi mobile adapter). For some reason it never dawned on me to see if I could listen to the shows through the device's web browser. It works beautifully.

Does the mp3 file get fully downloaded after a few minutes? Or does it download partially until I get to a certain point, and then download some more until I get to a farther point in the file, etc? Any idea?

Thanks again!

Oooooh, I just realized I can navigate (rewind or fast forward) through the show as needed. Yaaay!

My phone starts playing right away and downloads the entire file, non-stop, in the background until it is done. If I loose my connection, it still plays.

Brad
Mr-Wimple

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have them all on my phone and listen them while doing the chores or out walking etc. Can't live without 'em!
Mungo

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 3:30 am    Post subject: Ipod Reply with quote

Hi I use my ipods, bought two 2nd hand ones 80GB and a 120GB so can get an awful lot OTR shows loaded.

The down side is the baterry life so here are some really good links to help extend baterry life. They did make a difference for me.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j2EeJo1znrE
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TbTEXM-O6eQ

http://ipod.about.com/od/introductiontotheipod/tp/ipod-touch-battery.htm
http://www.apple.com/batteries/iphone.html

theres loads of similar sites for iphones and ipods and it may depend on the type you have so check. Its worth it.
jmllh513

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 6:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let's take a poll and see how we like to enjoy old time radio shows the best.

There are lot's of ways to enjoy shows that are in mp3 format. I like to download them to my phone so I always have some with me. I can just play them through the phone speaker or use headphones.

How do you like to listen to them? Feel free to post messages in this thread too.

discount Bikkembergs polos
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mysteryshows.com Forum Index -> Misc All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: