Mysteryshows.com Forum Index Mysteryshows.com
Discuss old time radio here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

If you like Nightwatch..

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jimbo

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 10:50 am    Post subject: If you like Nightwatch.. Reply with quote

You should also like "Unit 99" (it's in the Mystery Clubhouse.)

Very similar shows. I downloaded it a month or so ago and finally took a listen. I wasn't expecting a Nightwatch type program, but there is is. Not quite as good as Nightwatch but I only heard one show..
Zap

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 4:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it an actual 'reality' show?

I'll have to give it a listen!
Jimbo

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 6:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, it's a reality show like Nightwatch. Done in California as well - I forget where.
Zap

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 2:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been checking out this show... really interesting! I like it almost as much as Nightwatch due to the quality of the recording being much better.

What can be more entertaining than drunken teenagers and screeching housewives of the 1950's commiting armed mayhem, robberies and assaults?

Takes place in Sacramento, CA in 1958.
Awesome find! Thanks, Jimbo.
Jimbo

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 5:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree, lots of fun! I also uploaded some fills to that show. Brad should be moving them over soon.
Zap

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 1:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This show is cracking me up! I swear- everybody was drunk back then, 24/7.

The first thing the cops ask every other perp they encounter is: "have you been drinking?" The answer always seems to be "Yes."

Especially the kids!

Man, when I was a kid growing up in the 1970's we had a hard time getting our hands on booze. But so many kids in 1950's era Sacramento were sauced!

And here I though the 50's was just one big "Leave it to Beaver" era!

Laughing

Can't wait to hear the fill in episodes!
Jimbo

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 6:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't drink and didn't in the 70's but I agree it seems it was pretty easy to get booze.

I listened to a full episode last night, the first episode (I had only scanned one before) and that was pretty good. Almost exactly like Nightwatch!
human

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The culture has definitely changed in that respect. In the area where I grew up, bars and convenience stores were pretty lax about carding 16- and 17-year-olds when the legal drinking age for beer and wine was 18. Law enforcement started cracking down in the early '80s, a few years ahead of a federal mandate for states to raise their drinking age to 21 by the end of 1986.

Even on many college campuses, drinking isn't as popular a pass time as it once was. Administrations actively discourage it, some even to the point of making possession of alcohol in the residence halls an infraction, regardless of a student's age.

Jimbo wrote:
I don't drink and didn't in the 70's but I agree it seems it was pretty easy to get booze.

I listened to a full episode last night, the first episode (I had only scanned one before) and that was pretty good. Almost exactly like Nightwatch!
Jimbo

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

human wrote:
The culture has definitely changed in that respect. In the area where I grew up, bars and convenience stores were pretty lax about carding 16- and 17-year-olds when the legal drinking age for beer and wine was 18. Law enforcement started cracking down in the early '80s, a few years ahead of a federal mandate for states to raise their drinking age to 21 by the end of 1986.

Even on many college campuses, drinking isn't as popular a pass time as it once was. Administrations actively discourage it, some even to the point of making possession of alcohol in the residence halls an infraction, regardless of a student's age.

That's probably a good idea. I've never seen any good from alcohol..

And if you watch Cops or listen to Nightwatch or Unit 99, you know that about 90% of the cases on there involve alcohol.
Zap

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 12:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jimbo wrote:

And if you watch Cops or listen to Nightwatch or Unit 99, you know that about 90% of the cases on there involve alcohol.

So far the weirdest moment on the Unit 99 show- and there are MANY- is when a call comes in about a 12 year old kid hanging out in a bar. Turns out, his grandma thought it would be fine to take him there with her.
Jimbo

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 4:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zap wrote:
Jimbo wrote:

So far the weirdest moment on the Unit 99 show- and there are MANY- is when a call comes in about a 12 year old kid hanging out in a bar. Turns out, his grandma thought it would be fine to take him there with her.

I have heard similar things on Nightwatch.

By the way, do you listen to The Line-up? That's a great show; it's not reality but more like Dragnet.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mysteryshows.com Forum Index -> Misc All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: