Mysteryshows.com Forum Index Mysteryshows.com
Discuss old time radio here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Superman

View previous topic :: View next topic  
human

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2008 9:42 pm    Post subject: Superman Reply with quote

If anybody's into the old Fleischer/Famous Studios Superman cartoons from the 1940s, I found a site that has all 17 of them available free for the downloading. http://toonamiarsenal.com/features/superman/ These are my all time favorite cartoons. The picture and sound quality is excellent, but being a Warner-owned site, they've chopped off the Paramount intro tags. All 17 shorts (about 2.5 hours' worth) will fit nicely on a single DVD.

Obligatory OTR content: These cartoons use much of the same voice talent as the Superman radio series. Clayton 'Bud' Collyer voices Clark Kent/Superman and Joan Alexander voices Lois Lane.
majorshaw

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks
Brad
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 4:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Superman Reply with quote

human wrote:
If anybody's into the old Fleischer/Famous Studios Superman cartoons from the 1940s, I found a site that has all 17 of them available free for the downloading. http://toonamiarsenal.com/features/superman/ These are my all time favorite cartoons. The picture and sound quality is excellent, but being a Warner-owned site, they've chopped off the Paramount intro tags. All 17 shorts (about 2.5 hours' worth) will fit nicely on a single DVD.

Obligatory OTR content: These cartoons use much of the same voice talent as the Superman radio series. Clayton 'Bud' Collyer voices Clark Kent/Superman and Joan Alexander voices Lois Lane.

No need for an OTR comment. Talk about anything you want in the lounge Smile

Thanks for the link. I'll take a look.

Brad
ussmidway

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the link. I have about half of them on various DVDs. I like to buy those cheapy DVDs with the old cartoons on them.

I went to the link above and downloaded them all onto my computer. I watch one with my 4yo before he goes to sleep at night, we've watched about 5 now. He loves them as much as I do.
crich70

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also have some of them on DVD but not all I think. You can find the wikipedia article about the series here.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Superman_(1940s_cartoons)
human

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Superman cartoons are available in a variety of DVD collections. I've got a three-disc set called "Classic Cartoon Favorites" that has all 17 Superman cartoons on one disc, a second disc full of Popeye cartoons, and a third with a variety of other cartoons from Fleischer/Famous Studios, including Casper the Friendly Ghost, Woody Woodpecker, Little LuLu, Mighty Mouse, and others. I think I paid the princely sum of $5 for it. I think Warner Bros. was going to include the Superman cartoons as bonus features on reissue versions of the Christopher Reeve Superman films.

crich70 wrote:
I also have some of them on DVD but not all I think. You can find the wikipedia article about the series here.

Brad
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

human wrote:
The Superman cartoons are available in a variety of DVD collections. I've got a three-disc set called "Classic Cartoon Favorites" that has all 17 Superman cartoons on one disc, a second disc full of Popeye cartoons, and a third with a variety of other cartoons from Fleischer/Famous Studios, including Casper the Friendly Ghost, Woody Woodpecker, Little LuLu, Mighty Mouse, and others. I think I paid the princely sum of $5 for it. I think Warner Bros. was going to include the Superman cartoons as bonus features on reissue versions of the Christopher Reeve Superman films.

crich70 wrote:

What great cartoons we used to have. Not like I see on TV today. My all time favorite would have to be Scooby Doo. My little grandson and I were watching them the other day. Now that my kids think they're too old for that show, I'll have fun introducing them to my grandson.

Brad
crich70

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to agree with you there brad. When I was in college they did a survey I think that showed that it was people my age that did most of the viewing of Scooby Doo. lol. I still like it. The odd thing about the classic cartoons they had on tv when I was a kid is that many of them were made for theatrical use first. Way back in the day when OTR was still new programming. They'd have a double feature, a serial, a news reel and a cartoon when a person went to the movies back then. Now you're lucky to get a few short previews included with the main feature. As for the classic cartoons you have to find a DVD collection if you want to watch them now. Sad really. I can remember seeing them on saturday mornings when I was a little kid.

Brad wrote:
human wrote:

crich70 wrote:

What great cartoons we used to have. Not like I see on TV today. My all time favorite would have to be Scooby Doo. My little grandson and I were watching them the other day. Now that my kids think they're too old for that show, I'll have fun introducing them to my grandson.

Brad
Jimbo

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 5:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If any of you love the Superman OTR (I do!) you will be happy to know there is a website that not only plots ever available episode (in depth!) but also has trivia and commentary of these episodes.

You can find it here:

http://www.supermanhomepage.com/radio/radio.php?topic=radio-reviews/radio-reviews
jmllh513

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smile Smile

replica Bikkembergs tracksuits
Mike Hobart

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2014 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1945 October 11 - November 6: The Atom Man
1945 November 7 - December 3: Atom Man in Metropolis

These are really one long story and I think it may be the most exciting story arc I have heard in any of the Superman radio shows. Unbelievable as it might sound, it seems that Superman might actually be defeated in this one!! Shocked
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mysteryshows.com Forum Index -> Lounge All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: