Mysteryshows.com Forum Index Mysteryshows.com
Discuss old time radio here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What are you listening to now?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mike Hobart

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 6:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

THE WITCH'S TALE "Rockabye Baby" 7/25/32 MBS
Ingenious plotting from Alonzo Dean Cole about intrigue involving a haunted house.
HALL OF FANTASY "Man Sized in Marble" 4/10/47 CBS.
When you live in a haunted house and your domestic staff quite the day before Halloween, maybe it's time to start worrying. Based on a story by E. Nesbit (The Railway Children).
(Tuned to Yesterday podcast #1532)

SUSPENSE The Black Curtain. December 2, 1943.
Cary Grant battles amnesia in a Cornell Woolrich story; gripping stuff indeed.
ESCAPE Robert Of Huntingdon, October 26, 1952.
The Gunsmoke team give us a quite tolerable story about Robin Hood. (Relic Radio podcast #473)

JOHN STEELE, ADVENTURER The Sixth Bullet, January 30, 1951.
They say life begins at forty, but for Harry it's a time of dissatisfaction. Could things be worse? Well, yes they could. He could find himself trapped in a wrecked car with a loaded revolver next to him.
THIS IS THE STORY late 1940’s titled, Brave Men.
A moving tribute to the great war correspondent Ernie Pyle. (Relic Radio podcast #474)

HIGH ADVENTURE from May 7, 1950, titled, Wild Pitch.
I hadn't actually thought about baseball as a topic for a show like this, but the script manages to crank up a fair bit of drama, though the subtleties of the sport go over the heads of those who've never seen a game of baseball.
THE KEY The Window Cleaner 1956.
Being a window cleaner on a tall building would be nerve-wracking enough for most of us, without having to cope with a murder committed in one of the apartments. (Relic Radio podcast #475)

JACK BENNY 1944-09-30 season premiere
It's a new year for Jack, and he's flummoxed enough by Daylight Saving Time without having to worry about the three new charactrers on the show (the two switchboard operators and his press agent). Good fun as always.
''
YORKSHIRE BRASS (BBC Radio Leeds)
Two hours of brass band music -- torture for some, delightful for others. Includes the full 18 minute version of "Lord of the Dance".

I'VE NEVER SEEN STAR WARS s06 e06
The BBC's Marcus Brigstocke persuades a guest to try new experiences: things they really ought to have done by now. Some experiences are loved, some are loathed, in this show all about embracing the new. This week, Gyles Brandreth is persuaded to spend a day doing absolutely nothing, and writes his first ever pop song after meeting Myley Cyrus.

SOMETHING TO SHOUT ABOUT (BBC 1960-07-05) episode 1
Oh wow, I used to listen to this when I was about 12 years old -- a sitcom about an advertising agency. Not as funny 50 years later, but it has a certain quaint charm. (Somebody must have liked it, they made 54 episodes.)
Mike Hobart

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2016 5:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This week on the MP3 player:

A.F.N. Paris 1945 - Nero Wolfe 1951 - Nightbeat 1950 - Bing Crosby 1943 - Inner Sanctum 1952 - A Life In Your Hands 1949 - Honest Harold 1950 - Green Hornet 1944.
Mike Hobart

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2016 5:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Working my way through some episodes of the Radio Theater Channel podcast:

RTC_February01 Black Museum - Green Hornet - Great Gildersleeve.mp3 36 MB
RTC_February08 Nero Wolfe - Nightbeat 1950 - Bing Crosby 1943.mp3 43 MB
RTC_February15 Inner Sanctum - 1952 - A Life In Your Hands 1949 - Honest Harold 1950.mp3 40 MB
RTC_January04 Green Hornet - Cloak and Dagger - Joan Davis.mp3 42 MB
RTC_January11 Dragnet - Escape - Gunsmoke.mp3 40 MB
RTC_January18 Lux Radio Theater 1949 - High Adventure 1977.mp3 41 MB
RTC_January25 The Saint - Old Gold Radio Theater - Frontier Gentleman.mp3 40 MB

http://ren.podbean.com/
Mike Hobart

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A bit behind with my podcasts, but I am listening in the car and hope to catch up one day.

The Relic Radio Show #470 brought us THE TEXTRON THEATRE production of Angel Street. That story aired December 8, 1945. The Textron people obviously had deep pockets -- the cast for this tolerable adaptation of GASLIGHT includes Helen Hayes, Boris Karloff and Sir Cedric Hardwicke!
After that, it’s Lucille Ball in Numerology, an amusing episode of MY FAVORITE HUSBAND that aired May 14, 1950. Can Lucy's numerology book trump their landlord's Ouija Board and stop him raising their rent.

Then on episode #471 of the Relic Radio Show, THEATER FIVE starts us of with To Whom It May Concern, a story first heard September 11, 1964. Then, it’s The Dark Room from THE WHISTLER. That episode originally aired March 24, 1948. Interesting that the THEATER FIVE story about wiretapping and bugging dates from the 1960s, not as i first thought from the 1970s — I had imagined it was an allegory inspired by the Nixon years, but no so it seems. As for THE WHISTLER, it amazes me that the writers for the show had to think up more surprise twists than O. Henry in his prime, but they are seldom obvious or predictable (not by me anyway).
angelranger

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Secrets of Scotland Yard- I like the British shows since most are unfamiliar both in dialogue, setting and topics.

2 shows now: General Charles Leward and Crime on the Railway. Good stuff
though quality can vary, somewhat warbly at times.

I return to Gielgud and Richardson's versions of Sherlock Holmes most often when it's time to relax. Great versions of the classic tales.
Mike Hobart

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 6:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JACK BENNY "Violin Lessons" 12/7/47 NBC
Full of great running gags and character bits. Was there ever a more unfortunate man than Jack's violin teacher? Includes a trip to Jack's vault.

CHARLIE McCARTHY "Guest: Hedy Lamarr" 2/22/42 NBC.
Bergen asks Charlie to help him cosy up to beautiful guest star Lamarr. Charlie is reluctant till Bergen offers him money! Always amusing fare.

SCREEN GUILD THEATER "Flesh and Fantasy" 7/16/45 CBS
Great cast -- Edward G. Robinson, Vincent Price, Dame May Whitty -- in a story that asks whether telling a man he will commit murder is a self-fufilling prophecy? Based on Oscar Wilde's short story "Lord Arthur Saville's Crime", though I don't remember whether this happy ending was in the movie.

CBS WORKSHOP "People Are No Good" 9/8/57 CBS.
Now here's a weird one. Starts out as a slice-of-life drama about a dispirited everyman, then veers into a surreal horror story. Probably wouldn't have made it to air a decade earlier, one suspects.

IT PAYS TO BE IGNORANT
I haven't heard a full episode of this show before, but it's actually quite fun. As a bonus, one of the guest stars on this episode is the Englishman who hosted the British version, titled IGNORANCE IS BLISS.

21st PRECINCT 1954-01-20 "The Stolen Cadillac"
"Most of the 173,000 people wedged into the nine-tenths of a square mile between Fifth Avenue and the East River wouldn't know, if you asked them, that they lived or worked in the 21st. Whether they know it or not, the security of their persons, their homes, and their property is the job of the men of the 21st."
Good 1950s police show. This week the cops collar a pair of car thieves in a stolen Cadillac. The twist is that the thieves are nice laid-back guys, while the legitimate owners of the Caddy are a bumptious unsypathetic couple.

IT'S A CRIME, MR COLLINS 1957 "Clue of the Ivory Thread"
Husband and wife team of sleuths have to cope with a client who's a paranoid with delusions, and a treasure map hidden on a dress. Nice climax in the bell tower of an abandoned mission.
http://wrvo.org/post/tuned-yesterday-1125
Mike Hobart

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 6:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HAVE GUN WILL TRAVEL "The Search for Wylie Dawson" 6/12/60 CBS
Here's a switch -- Paladin ventures into a dangerous nest of bandits hunting a man because he hasn't committed a crime.

FRONTIER TOWN "The Chase" 10/29/49 Syndicated.
When an owlhoot breaks jail with a treasure map, there's gunplay galore on the prairie. "He's got more holes in him than a harmonica" (!).

FAT MAN "The Crooked Horse" 9/9/46 ABC
A witness who reports a murder happened in the room next to hers (but there's no body there) leads the rotund Mr Runyon to a brush with foreign agents and stolen secrets.

YOURS TRULY JOHNNY DOLLAR "The Burning Desire Matter" 12/27/59 CBS.
An old informant leads our hero into an investigation of a wave of arson in California.

MYSTERIOUS TRAVELER "Queen of the Cats" 6/16/48 MBS
What would you do if your evil ex-wife was reincarnated as a cat? Probably pretty much what this guy does, for all the good it would do you. Not recommended to those who either love or hate cats.
Mike Hobart

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 6:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

INNER SANCTUM "Mr. Macabre" (aka "No Rest for the Dead") 8/24/52 CBS
This one's from late in the run but it's got it all! A doctor murdered after signing an agreement to purchase the brain of his worst enemy (after his death, that is), and a string of phone calls from a man who may or may not be a corpse in the local morgue. Just try and stop from listening once you tune in!

ROMANCE "Paris Encounter" 8/21/54 CBS
If you're a GUNSMOKE fan, you may be interested to see how William Conrad handles the role of an American businessman who falls in love during a trip to Paris. As convincingly as you would expect, is the answer.

ON STAGE "The Fling" 7/16/53 CBS.
Eight years caring for a sick wife, then Elliot Lewis is tempted by the hot new waitress at the local diner. Ends with a twist almost worthy of THE WHISTLER !

CAVALCADE OF AMERICA "Venture in Silk Hat" 1/14/46 NBC
I saw this on DISNEYLAND as a child as "The Great Locomotive Chase" and it was also the inspiration for Buster Keaton's THE GENERAL. Quite good, though the ending is unavoidably downbeat.

AMERICAN ADVENTURE "The Federal Lion" 11/17/50 NBC
Lighter in tone, this tale tells of the time that a foreign leader made a gift to the President of the United States of a fully grown lion. The White House is thrown into confusion about what to do with this unwanted gift. Produced by the University of North Carolina.

CASE OF THE FLYING SAUCER 4/7/50 CBS
Edward R. Murrow and his staff investigate the then recent phenomenon of unidentified flying objects, trying to decide whether there really is anything up there. Interesting for the interviews with the people who actually saw UFOs in the early days of the post-war period, e.g. Kenneth Arnold who started the whole scare in 1947.
Mike Hobart

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 6:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

X MINUS ONE "Death Wish" 10/10/57 NBC.
I haven't heard this one before, and the story by "Ned Lang" (apparently a pseudonym for the usually reliable Robert Sheckley) didn't impress me a lot. The crew of a spaceship face almost certain death after a disaster unless the new computer can think of something. I did like the engineer's line describing the computer: "It's an evil thing, with its flashing lights and its scheming brain."

GOLDEN AGE OF LIGHT MUSIC #01
Published on You Tube on Jan 29, 2017

LINIT BATH CLUB REVUE 1/22/33 CBS.
This is apparently the earliest Fred Allen show surviving, but the comedy is fairly unremarkable. The skits are set in a courtroom where Fred is the judge, and I did admire the actor playing the lawyer whose dialogue is a rapid-fire barrage of malapropisms and spoonerisms.
http://wrvo.org/post/tuned-yesterday-1132

MR MOTO June 17, 1951, The Mask Of Evil.
Our oriental sleuth is aboard ship, bound for Hong Kong where he hopes to locate a secret document that could change the balance of power in the Pacific. More Sax Rohmer than John P. Marquand I thought.

THE FBI IN PEACE AND WAR Hot Ice. March 9, 1955.
A swindler tries to use fake diamonds to swindle a wealthy racketeer. Is this a good idea? THE STING 1950s style.
Mike Hobart

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 6:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

THIS IS YOUR FBI 1946 "Flowers for the corpse"
A small town florist -- good cover for a fence working with ring of jewel thieves? What we need is a G-Man who's also a botanist.

PHILIP MARLOWE 1951 "The Young Man's Fancy"
Gerald Mohr in Film Noir mood, with a local storekeeper's son involved in something nasty -- or is he?

SHERLOCK HOLMES March 18, 1946 “The Adventure of the Blarney Stone”Nigel Bruce and Basil Rathbone conclude their investigations into a case in Ireland, and relax by visiting Blarney Castle ... only to witness a murder when a man tries to kiss the Blarney Stone. Begorrah!

VIC AND SADE two amusing episodes from 1941
April, 1941 “40 Lbs of Golf Clubs”
May 2, 1941 “Vic’s Picture on Quarterly Cover”

HELLO CHEEKY (1975)
Tim Brooke-Taylor, John Junkin & Barry Cryer star in this gag-a-minute sketch comedy show. I recall listening to this in the 1970s, it's sort of nostalgic to hear it again after all these decades. Found this episode on You Tube.

DR. PAUL 1945-12-13 "Dr Paul can't sleep"
This is one from the American run of 1940-45 of this soap opera. In Australia it was even more popular, and under the guidance of Grace Gibson it ran from 1949-70 -- an amazing run of 4,634 fifteen-minute episodes.
Mike Hobart

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 6:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PHILO VANCE 1949 "Murder at the Movies"
He's not as pompous as in the novels, but Vance isn't my favorite radio detective. However I enjoyed this story, where he deduces America's most loved cowboy star has been murdered, then spots the killer by recognizing a quotation from Alexander Pope. Had me guessing anyway.

BILL STERN'S COLGATE SPORTS NEWSREEL 12/21/45
The man with the wonderful voice - shame about the slightly dodgy scripts. In this one, the star of Henry Aldrich drops in to deliver an anecdote about a recently deceased celebrity.

FIBBER McGEE & MOLLY: Killer Canova’s Autograph (10/3/39)
An early appearance by Throckmorton P. Gildersleeve, when he hires Fibber to get the autograph of a reclusive gangster. Not my favorite era of the show, but still some laughs and Teeny sings a song from the new movie The Wizard Of Oz.

MYSTERIOUS TRAVELER: Death Is The Judge 6/15/47
A strange bell from Tibet can bring the dead to life, as well as bring death to the living.
[SPOILER] If you've read the classic short story "The Monkey's Paw" you'll have an idea where this well-crafted shocker is headed.
Mike Hobart

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 6:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ALKA SELTZER TIME 1953-10-09
This was a 15-minute radio series broadcast weekdays. The show began in 1949 and starred baritone Curt Massey along with Martha Tilton.
By 1953, the series was heard on Mutual (at 12 noon, Eastern Time) and later that same day on CBS (at 5:45pm, ET). Advertisements described the show as "informal song sessions" and it's a pleasant if forgettable quarter hour.

SMILEY BURNETTE SHOW ep.1 date uncertain
Burnette is remembered as a comic sidekick to stars like Gene Autry and Roy Rogers, but he was a hard-working singer and actor who produced his own 15-minute radio show for many years and was working as an actor on TV up to his death. This vehicle for "the Clown Prince of Western pictures" is actually rather fun, with its mix of cornball comedy and laid-back western songs. But how many people understood the opening gag about "the Izaak Walton of Death Valley"??

ALDRICH FAMILY Henry Buys A Hat (11-04-48 )
My father uses to have a favorite saying "That went out with straw hats!".
In this popular sitcom, Henry is allowed to go out and buy himself a hat, but .... you can probably guess the rest of the plot.

OUR MISS BROOKS 1949-05-15 "Mr. Conklin's Friday The 13th".
Sponsored by: Palmolive Soap, Lustre-Creme Shampoo, Palmolive Shave Cream. It's Friday the 13th, and Miss Brooks seems destined to cause Mr. Conklin grief. A photo of her in a bathing suit doesn't help! Mr Boynton gets the last word.

COUNTRY AND WESTERN CARAVAN (1954)
Apparently sponsored by RCA Victor, who presumably released the songs featured in the program. Good natured down-home entertainent, though I don't recognize any of the names except for Minnie Pearl.
MSF17

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2017 7:23 pm    Post subject: Cable TV channel Reply with quote

Presently, listening to Music Choice channel # 1941. Sounds Of The Seasons: Holiday. Various vocalists from various decades of christmas tunes. santa computer love4
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mysteryshows.com Forum Index -> Misc All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5

Jump to: