Mysteryshows.com Forum Index Mysteryshows.com
Discuss old time radio here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Volume quality?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
MSF17

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 11:27 am    Post subject: Volume quality? Reply with quote

Aside from the aged old original reel tape recordings of these radio episodes. Have noticed that some recorded episodes hold a much better volume quality than others. For instance, am listening to CBS radio Mystery Theater's "River of Hades" on the cbsrmt.com's website, and its sound is quite more louder and audible than Old Time Radio Theater's/MysteryShows.com's episode of "River of Hades" playing in Windows Media Player on my laptop computer. I wonder if the transferances from reel tape to mp3 or audio disc makes any difference for enhancing volume in these episodes?? Question Idea Shocked
human

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 6:53 am    Post subject: Re: Volume quality? Reply with quote

I think you have to take the overall lineage of a particular recording into consideration. At this time, there are no "official" CBSRMT recordings in circulation. With the exception of a few episodes sourced from Armed Forces Radio & TV Service (AFRTS) discs, everything presently available was recorded off the air by a listener. Some recordings were made with a cheap microphone held up to the speaker of a radio; others were made with higher end pro-sumer audio equipment. Some may have been digitized from first generation tapes, while others may have been higher generation transfers, having been copied from tape to tape one or more times before being digitized. Every time an analog tape recording is duplicated, the copy is a slightly degraded version of the source tape. This can add layer upon layer of "hiss" and make the recording that much more difficult to hear.

MSF17 wrote:
Aside from the aged old original reel tape recordings of these radio episodes. Have noticed that some recorded episodes hold a much better volume quality than others. For instance, am listening to CBS radio Mystery Theater's "River of Hades" on the cbsrmt.com's website, and its sound is quite more louder and audible than Old Time Radio Theater's/MysteryShows.com's episode of "River of Hades" playing in Windows Media Player on my laptop computer. I wonder if the transferances from reel tape to mp3 or audio disc makes any difference for enhancing volume in these episodes?? Question Idea Shocked
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mysteryshows.com Forum Index -> Misc All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: