Mysteryshows.com Forum Index Mysteryshows.com
Discuss old time radio here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Halloween treats?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
human

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 9:24 pm    Post subject: Halloween treats? Reply with quote

Well, another Halloween is almost past. Did anyone listen to anything especially spooky to mark the holiday?

I took a listen to the Mercury Theatre production of "Dracula". It's the first time I've listened to any episode of that program other than "War of the Worlds". I must say I enjoyed Orson Welles' performance as the count, although my mind's eye kept creating this rather humorous image of an older, portlier Welles (remember those Paul Masson wine spots he did in the '70s?) with fangs and a Bela Lugosi-style cape.
torque

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 5:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"We will drink no blood before its time"? Sadly, the aging sell-out Orson colors my perception of all his earlier work--radio or movies. An object lesson to all of us to try to be true to our highest aspirations and our better selves, as difficult as that may sometimes be.
human

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another 'bad visual' I get listening to OTR is listening to Gunsmoke and visualizing the morbidly obese William Conrad as he appeared in TV shows like Jake & the Fat Man. Don't get me wrong, his performances as Matt Dillon were first rate, and to be fair, I've also seen pictures of him from his younger, trimmer, days and at one time, he did look more the part. Still, it's a big contrast with James Arness, TV's Matt Dillon.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mysteryshows.com Forum Index -> Horror All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: