Mysteryshows.com Forum Index Mysteryshows.com
Discuss old time radio here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

2 New Sherlock Holmes Movies

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Brad
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 9:37 am    Post subject: 2 New Sherlock Holmes Movies Reply with quote

Charles (crich70) has just donated 2 more great old movies to our club.

Basil Rathbone movie "The woman in Green" and the other stars Reginald Owen as Holmes in "A study in scarlet.

Thanks Charles Very Happy

Brad
shirleypearl

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My husband loves Sherlock Holmes movies and everything else Sherlock Holmes.

Thanks, Charles.

Shirley
MikeyG1965

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really never had much interest in Sherlock Holmes. However, once again, I caught a show on XM164 and it sucked me in. I forgot the episode, but it is with Sir John Gielgud as Sherlock Holmes. Enjoyed it very much and will be sure to download a few shows.
crich70

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're quite welcome Brad, Shirley. I love the old Sherlock Holmes movies too. I can remember watching them on saturday mornings with Charlie Chan and Ma & Pa Kettle being swapped in on occasion. I also love the original stories, and have a 2 vol. copy of the Annotated Sherlock Holmes that I found some yrs back at my local used bookstore. The movies with Jeremy Brett may have stayed closer to the original stories, but Basil Rathbone is still the one I think of when I think of the character of Holmes.
crich70

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That sounds to me like the Adventure of the Norwood Builder. At least that's the only OTR episode I can think of with Sir John Gielgud playing Holmes.

MikeyG1965 wrote:
I really never had much interest in Sherlock Holmes. However, once again, I caught a show on XM164 and it sucked me in. I forgot the episode, but it is with Sir John Gielgud as Sherlock Holmes. Enjoyed it very much and will be sure to download a few shows.
Brad
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

crich70 wrote:
You're quite welcome Brad, Shirley. I love the old Sherlock Holmes movies too. I can remember watching them on saturday mornings with Charlie Chan and Ma & Pa Kettle being swapped in on occasion. I also love the original stories, and have a 2 vol. copy of the Annotated Sherlock Holmes that I found some yrs back at my local used bookstore. The movies with Jeremy Brett may have stayed closer to the original stories, but Basil Rathbone is still the one I think of when I think of the character of Holmes.

I like Basil Rathbone the best too. But I think Jeremy Brett really plays the part well. I've seen every one of his shows. Very good!

My all time favorite Watson is easily Nigel Bruce. He was fantastic in that role.

Brad
Harlow Wilcox

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Sherlock Holmes radio series that starred Sir John Gielgud and Sir Ralph Richardson produced 17 episodes, it was broadcast in England in 1954 and then syndicated here in the U.S. in 1955.All 17 episodes are available. I think the shows were well done, but I also think of Basil Rathbone when I think of Sherlock Holmes dontknow
crich70

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, though Sir Cedric Hardwick's son Edward did play a good Watson (opposite Jeremy Brett) I also think first of Nigel Bruce when I think of Watson, just as I think of Mary Gordon as Mrs. Hudson. And of course Lionel Atwill played a perfect villain of a Professor Moriarty.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mysteryshows.com Forum Index -> Mystery All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: