Mysteryshows.com Forum Index Mysteryshows.com
Discuss old time radio here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Life Of Riley

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Steve

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2009 12:00 pm    Post subject: Life Of Riley Reply with quote

One of my favorite comedies is "The Life Of Riley" starring William Bendix. The early years are interesting because of WWII as Riley works on the homefront. I can listen to this program and even catch glimpses of Homer Simpson.

I've heard many episodes but have never seen either version of the TV show starring Bendix and also Jackie Gleason as Riley.

Sponsorship by the American Meat Institute is also very unique! Go meat!
crich70

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2009 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There were various sponsors for different shows in the OTR days. The shadow had Blue Coal, Dragnet had Fatima and then Chesterfield Cigarettes, and the Soap Operas had various soaps as their sponsors for example. In fact that's how Soap Operas got the name of Soap Opera in the 1st place. From what I've read people didn't like commercial interruptions in their programs so often the sponsor would include the name of their product in the opening of the show aka the colgate hour or such.
Brad
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2009 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think my favorite comedy is "Father Knows Best". That show always makes me laugh. Laughing

Brad
human

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2009 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've noticed this strange trend in TV dads over the decades. In the 1950s, we had Robert Young in Father Knows Best and Hugh Beaumont in Leave it to Beaver, followed in the '60s by Fred McMurray in My Three Sons and Andy Griffith in The Andy Griffith Show. All were pretty much straight-up normal men, although the latter two were both single parents. In the '70s, we had Mike Brady in The Brady Bunch and Bill Bixby in The Courtship of Eddie's Father, but that's also where things also started to run off the rails a bit with Archie Bunker. By the late '80s and early '90s, we have Al Bundy and Homer Simpson, and in the 2000s it's Ozzy Osbourne and Paul Sr. from American Chopper. I'm not sure how this reflects on our society, but it makes me worried what the next decade will bring.
Brad
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2009 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

human wrote:
I've noticed this strange trend in TV dads over the decades. In the 1950s, we had Robert Young in Father Knows Best and Hugh Beaumont in Leave it to Beaver, followed in the '60s by Fred McMurray in My Three Sons and Andy Griffith in The Andy Griffith Show. All were pretty much straight-up normal men, although the latter two were both single parents. In the '70s, we had Mike Brady in The Brady Bunch and Bill Bixby in The Courtship of Eddie's Father, but that's also where things also started to run off the rails a bit with Archie Bunker. By the late '80s and early '90s, we have Al Bundy and Homer Simpson, and in the 2000s it's Ozzy Osbourne and Paul Sr. from American Chopper. I'm not sure how this reflects on our society, but it makes me worried what the next decade will bring.

Right you are. I was playing some big band music for my wife's dad the other day. We started talking about how years ago, men always wore suit coats and hats when they went out. I think those days are gone for good.

Brad
Harlow Wilcox

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes,that is one of the things that made the golden age of radio so "Golden",
we still had some values in our country. Crying or Very sad That becomes so apparent when you listen to these shows
crich70

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes and the father was called 'sir' by the kids back then. Also there was real discipline back then for bad behaviour. I didn't get spanked often but I knew I deserved it when I did get spanked. Now days if a parent uses corp. punishment on a child they can find themselves being arrested for abuse. Then they wonder why the crime rates are going up and why there are so many more people ending up in jail.

human wrote:
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mysteryshows.com Forum Index -> Comedy All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: