Mysteryshows.com Forum Index Mysteryshows.com
Discuss old time radio here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Johnny Dollar Episodes Available

View previous topic :: View next topic  
William Patrick Maynard

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 8:38 am    Post subject: Johnny Dollar Episodes Available Reply with quote

Hello, new to the forum but not new to OTR. A question for those more knowledgeable than me in these matters: Are there only 732 available episdoes of YOURS TRULY, JOHNNY DOLLAR? I'm seeing an eBay seller claiming to offer all 811 episodes and I suspect this is inaccurate. Thank you very much for your help.
Harlow Wilcox

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would say procede with caution. Many OTR vendors claim to have episodes that are previously considered lost when they are actually other episodes that you may already have. They will put a title of a lost episode in order to intice people to make a purchase. This has happened to many people. This is also the main reason why many of the sites that offer shows for free have the same problem,the wrong title assigned to an episode. The people who run the free sites purchased or were given by members of the various free sites like this one, sets of shows that contain these mistitled shows.The hosts of these sites were ripped of by the vendors who sell these shows by making people excited and they think they are getting lost episodes. I'm not saying they are all ripoffs. Just be careful and check them out before purchasing. According to the Old Time Radio Researchers Group (OTRR),there are 713 episodes known to exist out of 813 of the episodes broadcast. If you haven't checked it out already you can see their log here:

http://otrr.org/FILES/Logs_txt/Yours%20Truly,%20Johnny%20Dollar.txt

Britt
William Patrick Maynard

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 12:00 pm    Post subject: Johnny Dollar Episodes Available Reply with quote

Thank you very much, sir. Any member of the distinguished Reid family is a gentleman and scholar.
crich70

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2010 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember reading an article about a collector who had that problem when collecting Amos and Andy OTR some time back when they were still on audio cassettes rather than the Mp3 files that we have access to now. He bought what appeared to be 3 different episodes from different vendors only to find out that they were all the same one! The sellers didn't know the right name for the episode and so had each come up with their own title for it. One of the things I like about MysteryShows.com is that the listings for the episodes of any given series is as clear as it can be.
human

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can also thank the Old Time Radio Researchers (OTRR) group, which has put in countless volunteer hours compiling and standardizing information about vintage radio shows. The Old Time Radio collection at the Web site archive.org contains numerous "OTRR Certified" collections of old radio shows that contain what are believed to be the best known recordings of all existing episodes of a particular series. I believe a lot of what we have here is sourced from the same recordings. There's also a lot that we have that Archive doesn't and probably vice-versa.
Brad
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

human wrote:
You can also thank the Old Time Radio Researchers (OTRR) group, which has put in countless volunteer hours compiling and standardizing information about vintage radio shows. The Old Time Radio collection at the Web site archive.org contains numerous "OTRR Certified" collections of old radio shows that contain what are believed to be the best known recordings of all existing episodes of a particular series. I believe a lot of what we have here is sourced from the same recordings. There's also a lot that we have that Archive doesn't and probably vice-versa.

I actually got rid of all OTRR shows on this site about a year ago. Their "creative commons agreement" is "some rights reserved". I wanted only true public domain shows here. I think I had to purchase over 20 sets of shows to replace them all.

I don't know where the sites I bought them from got them. But I did notice that none of the mp3 tags said OTRR and the file naming was way different, but I still can't be sure of their original source.

OTRR is a hard working group and have done a lot for the OTR community.

I just didn't want any restrictions on anything we offer here.

Brad
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mysteryshows.com Forum Index -> Mystery All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: