Mysteryshows.com Forum Index Mysteryshows.com
Discuss old time radio here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Lum and Abner
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jimbo

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2010 7:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey zap, check out: http://forums.oldradio.net//ftopic1732.html - some other board has been discussing the "bugs a fightin/bitin' " - by the way, since our recent discussion I have listened closely; I do believe it's FIGHTIN', but who knows?

There are lots of interesting discussions there as well - find the whole L&A thread at: http://forums.oldradio.net//forum19.html&sid=14ca79bad9632df3f48c1ba94abca219

ps: well they cut down the ol' pine tree -and they hauled it away to the mill...
crich70

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2010 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually I've seen some old school books from the 30's-40's in the past and they had the title of "First Reader" etc. stamped on their covers. Here's a link to a Google book page with such a Reader. It was published in 1889.
http://books.google.com/books?id=NkUYAAAAYAAJ&printsec=frontcover&dq=First+Reader&source=bl&ots=StdQxh_IE3&sig=EMUYXRSSQpxrJiUBoevxupqKSFU&hl=en&ei=lkn8TPiQAtOgnQfCvoTGCg&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=7&ved=0CEoQ6AEwBg#v=onepage&q&f=false

Things have changed a lot since those days.

Zap wrote:
Speaking of Cedric, I like how they refer to the grade level he's in as "The Fifth Reader" or whichever level. I never heard that term 'reader' before to refer to a grade level, but it's funny.
Zap

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 4:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

great find Jimbo- the fightin/bitin' debate heats up! I've been keeping an ear open, but I haven't heard that phrase in any recent shows.

I noticed I had the episode of Fibber McGee and Molly from 1937 that someone on the oldradio.net site said had a mention of "Tuffy" Goff, so I listened to it last night. They scripted in several 'shout outs' to other radio performers in that episode.

Speaking of Goff, great, now I've got the ol' pine tree song stuck in my head!

crich- interesting find, the 'Reader'. Clicking on 'about this book' brings up a whole slew of other Readers from the era.

Learn something new everyday!
Jimbo

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 7:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Found this while digging through some old newspapers..

Zap

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any chance that's from august or september 1945?

L&A took a vacation from the air between July and September 1945- it was noticeable because while listening in order suddenly they closed down the store and went on vacation, and when they came back, WWII was suddenly over.
Jimbo

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zap wrote:
Any chance that's from august or september 1945?

L&A took a vacation from the air between July and September 1945- it was noticeable because while listening in order suddenly they closed down the store and went on vacation, and when they came back, WWII was suddenly over.

Probably - but to be honest, I didn't save a link or write down the date since it was an advertisement...
Jimbo

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone who give's a rat's behind about Lum and Abner, please come to http://otrbuffet.blogspot.com/2010/12/lum-and-abner-dictionary-dec-8-2010.html and not only view but 'tcipate in the Lum and Abner Dictionary!

Please leave comments with L&A words. I'm starting from scratch, so we can start together.

Thank you!

PS Try and and include date of L&A show for reference.
Jimbo

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 3:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Unfishal Lum and Abner Dictionary now is it's own blog!

http://ladictionary.blogspot.com/

Please visit daily (it will be updated daily when I find new words.)

Again, I am asking you to help me with L&A words... if you find one, please leave a comment (no captas!) at the above blog.

Thanks!
Zap

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Jimbo- left two entries for your blog.

Tetched- as in tetched in the head, and Penintentury (sp?)- prison.

Cool idea for a site Smile
Jimbo

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 3:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome! I will add those ASAP.

I sit around now with paper/pen when I listen tp L&A and write down new words everydfay! I suggest you do the same - Smile
Zap

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 5:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just thought of another that's cracked me up:

Scientificks (sp?)- as in, people (like Lum) who understand all about science.
Jimbo

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 5:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zap wrote:
Just thought of another that's cracked me up:

Scientificks (sp?)- as in, people (like Lum) who understand all about science.

That's a good one. I'll add that when I add the others a bit later this AM. Thanks!

I have noticed there are a lot of words they add an 's' to: "romantics" is another example without consulting the L&A Dictionary.
Jimbo

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 5:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I found my favorite Lum and Abner episode so far. I am up to 4400210 now. But my favorite is 440203.

The situation is Lum obtaining a barber chair instead of cash in some deal he made with Moes Moose. Getting the chair made Lum instantly think he was a barber.

In this particular episode, he (and Abner) shave off Granpap's beard by mistake.

Ha, that episode was just hilarious, especially that ending...
Zap

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 3:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember that storyline. Great stuff!
Jimbo

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm now where Abner's dad is visiting but I have not yet heard him...wondering if his voice will be a third person...
Zap

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 1:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wink

I wont give it away but I remember liking that story-line also. I'm waiting for you to get to 1946 also before I continue.... listening to a host of stuff these days. Really been into Night Watch lately- it's like listening to the tv show 'Cops' only from 1954, and a lot of it around where I drive every day. On my commutes several mornings I've been like "wow... what I heard last night happened right over there! "

I thought of another saying for the dictionary blog.
Someone asked me how I was doing today and for a second I was thinking to answer: "Oh, mostly tolerably!"
Jimbo

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 6:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nightwatch is a great program - I agree, just like Cops - the microphone guy, Don, is like a "tev set" as he tells us what's going on.

I am wondering if you have the 2 out-take shows of Nightwatch? (They should be at the end.)

Lum and Abner: You're waiting for me, aww how nice!

"tolerbly" - how did I miss that one?
Jimbo

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Turns out "tolerbly" was already in the Lum and Abner Dictionary! But that's okay, keep trying.

By the way, Zap, do you remember Mary, a young teen who ran away from the "reformintory" and Lum and Abner hid her in the store for a week or so and finally were able to adopt her?

Well since then (in Lum and Abner chronology) it's been about 4 months (where I am now) - and she's probably only been in 4 shows since then.

She is supposed to be staying in Pearl's room at Abner's house - yet he never mentions her.

Question: WHAT HAPPENED (HAPPENS?) TO MARY?
Zap

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I recall the Mary plot. At first, I really liked the character and was hoping she would stick around. But like a lot of Lum and Abner plots, just as you get into the ongoing plot, another hair-brained scheme comes up and they're on to the next thing without really wrapping up the last.

I do seem to recall there was something that finally happened with Mary that resolved that whole storyline and explained where she ended up.

Usually it's Lum's various love interests that get completely lost in the shuffle. Some new lady will arrive in town, and for weeks the plots revolve around Lum courting her- then suddenly she's forgotten about and barely ever mentioned again, and weeks later some new flame has entered the picture.

I wonder did the listeners of the era ever write in and complain? "What the heck happened to such and such? You never said, just moved on to the next thing like it never happened!"

A few times they've repeated plots -with totally different outcomes- from earlier seasons- like Lum and Abner building and running a movie theater. They also did that in the 1935 season. When they repeated it, I couldn't imagine why they didn't just acknowledge that they'd done the same thing a decade or so earlier for anyone that remembered it- because they changed the plot drastically enough that it was an entirely different story.

Also, the Jottemdown store itself gets completely changed- they'll do a story where they're practically rebuilding it into a bakery or something based on Lum's latest scheme- and for weeks the changes are a big part of the story- then suddenly it's as if all that never happened and they're on to something else. Never mind what happened to the big oven in the middle of the store or whatever other crazy change they made.

Remember one story (from '42 or '43 I believe) where they made a huge deal about modernizing and buying a delivery truck so Abner wouldn't have to make the deliveries on foot. I remember it was a huge deal for weeks- they almost went broke to pay for the truck- but then suddenly *poof* no more truck, no mention of what the heck happened to it from them on!
Zap

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jimbo wrote:

I am wondering if you have the 2 out-take shows of Nightwatch? (They should be at the end.)

Nope, I don't think I do. Mine starts with: Audition Show 25:40, but ends with:

Whiskers and Black Eye 27:12

Goddam Lady and Mr Peepers 27:06
Jimbo

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Find them here: http://www.mysteryshows.com/thank-you/Nightwatch/551212%20Out-takes%20#1.mp3 / http://www.mysteryshows.com/thank-you/Nightwatch/551219%20Out-takes%20#2.mp3 Very Happy
Jimbo

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zap wrote:
Yeah, I recall the Mary plot. At first, I really liked the character and was hoping she would stick around. But like a lot of Lum and Abner plots, just as you get into the ongoing plot, another hair-brained scheme comes up and they're on to the next thing without really wrapping up the last.

Reckon she got put away in the reformintory?

Zap wrote:
I do seem to recall there was something that finally happened with Mary that resolved that whole storyline and explained where she ended up.

Last I heard she was still in school - I was thinking though by the way she was acting that she might get preggers...

Zap wrote:
Usually it's Lum's various love interests that get completely lost in the shuffle. Some new lady will arrive in town, and for weeks the plots revolve around Lum courting her- then suddenly she's forgotten about and barely ever mentioned again, and weeks later some new flame has entered the picture.

This - I think - is due to missing episodes. I picked up a lot missing episodes this last summer... and as you may have read am in the process of removing the annoying organ and LONG commercials at front and end of some of those episodes (15 episode is actually 9.5 minutes of L&A.) Maybe when I am done I can upload them here if Brad will let me.

Zap wrote:
I wonder did the listeners of the era ever write in and complain? "What the heck happened to such and such? You never said, just moved on to the next thing like it never happened!"

Probably. And also wondering where their Lum and Abner Flashlights ever went.

Zap wrote:
A few times they've repeated plots -with totally different outcomes- from earlier seasons- like Lum and Abner building and running a movie theater. They also did that in the 1935 season. When they repeated it, I couldn't imagine why they didn't just acknowledge that they'd done the same thing a decade or so earlier for anyone that remembered it- because they changed the plot drastically enough that it was an entirely different story.

I feel the exact same way. I remember Abner said something one time - I forget what now - and I was thinking, you are such a liar, you did the same thing in 1935!

The way I have it figured, they just ran out of ides. They did everything themselves, writes, produce etc. They didn't have a secretary. They just plum run out of ideas. Don't that beat the bugs a fightin!?

Zap wrote:
Also, the Jottemdown store itself gets completely changed- they'll do a story where they're practically rebuilding it into a bakery or something based on Lum's latest scheme- and for weeks the changes are a big part of the story- then suddenly it's as if all that never happened and they're on to something else. Never mind what happened to the big oven in the middle of the store or whatever other crazy change they made.

I can't tell you how many times I have gone over the same crap in my head. Whatever happened to the giant delivery truck? The proprty they bought for the planetarium/rocket ship to Mars(!) Other properties they have bought.

Zap wrote:
Remember one story (from '42 or '43 I believe) where they made a huge deal about modernizing and buying a delivery truck so Abner wouldn't have to make the deliveries on foot. I remember it was a huge deal for weeks- they almost went broke to pay for the truck- but then suddenly *poof* no more truck, no mention of what the heck happened to it from them on!

HA! I just saw this. You saw I wondered about it too. They spent more than $100 fixing the truck up. I know it was damaged but they got it fixed - at least, that's the way I remember it. And then poof, next episode, Lum is thinking about opening a silver mine with Squire, or selling diamonds or (I see in a later episode that I haven't gotten to yet) open a restaurant.

But......it's fun anyway.
Zap

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 4:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, don't get me wrong, I love the show, quirks and all.

Your mention of it makes me wonder how many episodes I'm missing. I think I acquired most of my L&A collection from archive.org and a few other sources, and I'm sure I'm missing quite a few shows.

Speaking of changes to the store; I do like that they kept the library theme going for a long time. Long after they did the library plot, Abner still answers the phone "Jot-em Down store and library, Abner Peabody doing the talking!"

By the way, remember Grandpap as the only library patron reading out of the old farmer's almanac? I looked into it once and realized that they actually read verbatim out of the Farmer's Almanac- I was able to look up the actual facts -names, dates, places- that Grandpap was reading.

I'm also a huge comic book fan- one of my favorite episodes was Lum getting a rack of comic books in the store! I think they had to get rid of it because Cedric and Abner just wanted to stand around and read comic books all day!
Jimbo

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 6:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zap wrote:
Yeah, don't get me wrong, I love the show, quirks and all.

Your mention of it makes me wonder how many episodes I'm missing. I think I acquired most of my L&A collection from archive.org and a few other sources, and I'm sure I'm missing quite a few shows.

Speaking of changes to the store; I do like that they kept the library theme going for a long time. Long after they did the library plot, Abner still answers the phone "Jot-em Down store and library, Abner Peabody doing the talking!"

By the way, remember Grandpap as the only library patron reading out of the old farmer's almanac? I looked into it once and realized that they actually read verbatim out of the Farmer's Almanac- I was able to look up the actual facts -names, dates, places- that Grandpap was reading.

I'm also a huge comic book fan- one of my favorite episodes was Lum getting a rack of comic books in the store! I think they had to get rid of it because Cedric and Abner just wanted to stand around and read comic books all day!

Yep the "libary" lasted forever - think it was one of those "re-done" plots as well - as was the bank they opened. I remember them also opening up a post office.

Speaking of almanacs..

I don't ever remember them promoting this - I'll bet this was an Arkansas thing only. (You can still buy these on eBay and they are pretty cheap...)

I do not remember the comic books Sad
Jimbo

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 5:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had to share these photos:

(Wow, look at the amount of make up...)

[/url]
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mysteryshows.com Forum Index -> Comedy All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: