Mysteryshows.com Forum Index Mysteryshows.com
Discuss old time radio here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Clive Merrison version Sherlock Holmes... Very Puzzled

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Renman2735

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 7:25 am    Post subject: Clive Merrison version Sherlock Holmes... Very Puzzled Reply with quote

Are there any Sherlock Holmes fans here? I'm listening to the Merrison and Williams version and on the whole I'm extremely pleased with their portrayals. Yet I can't but wonder about some of the decisions made.

In the first place, the teaser before the actual stories often give away much of the big revelation at the end of the story proper. Secondly, really good dialogue is often omitted. But finally what I can't understand is why on earth would scenes that are most climactic and would lend well to dramatic exploitation would have been removed altogether.

All I have been listening I could close one ear, but most incredibly to me, I've just finished listening to the Reigate Squires. The most dramatic moment which is this part here:

"His words were cut short by a sudden scream of “Help! Help! Murder!” With a thrill I recognized the voice as that of my friend. I rushed madly from the room on to the landing. The cries, which had sunk down into a hoarse, inarticulate shouting, came from the room which we had first visited. I dashed in, and on into the dressing-room beyond. The two Cunninghams were bending over the prostrate figure of Sherlock Holmes, the younger clutching his throat with both hands, while the elder seemed to be twisting one of his wrists. In an instant the three of us had torn them away from him, and Holmes staggered to his feet, very pale and evidently greatly exhausted. "

Completely gone! If any other Sherlock Holmes fans here has an answer I'd be very much obliged to you.
crich70

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think they based it more on the actual text of the story than some versions from the clip you included. Having some of the story as a preview isn't unique to this version of Sherlock Holmes either. The Black Museum often had a clip at the start for example.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mysteryshows.com Forum Index -> Adventure All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: