Mysteryshows.com Forum Index Mysteryshows.com
Discuss old time radio here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Student taught the teacher

View previous topic :: View next topic  
human

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 7:57 pm    Post subject: Student taught the teacher Reply with quote

I teach a humanities class in a community college on technology and society and for the past few years, I have been giving my students an old time radio listening assignment as part of the unit on mass communication. When I made the assignment last week, I asked my students to imagine what it would have been like to hear the shows back in the 1940s before TV and the Internet.

One young African American student, being a bit of a smart Alec said that would be difficult for him because black folks back then didn't have radios. I kind of laughed it off and told him to do the best he could, but over the next few days, my mind kept replaying his comment.

After class today, I was chatting with him and another African American student and suggested an angle he could take with the essay by examining the distinct lack of authentic African American voices on radio during that era. This seemed to intrigue him and the topic of Amos n Andy came up. I confessed that I had shied away from including that show in the assignment because I thought some students might be offended by white actors portraying black characters Ina a somewhat unflattering manner.

His reply, backed up by the other student absolutely amazed me. Without missing a beat, he said "Don't be afraid of that. It's our history. We need to hear it." For an instant, the student became the teacher. When I got back to my office, I added an Amos n Andy episode to the assignment.

It's days like this that make me feel like what I'm doing is worthwhile.
LeonardoDiCaprio

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 12:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice sharing ...!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mysteryshows.com Forum Index -> Misc All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: