Mysteryshows.com Forum Index Mysteryshows.com
Discuss old time radio here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Why I Prefer the Radio Version of Gunsmoke

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Larry

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 5:19 pm    Post subject: Why I Prefer the Radio Version of Gunsmoke Reply with quote

I have been listening to the radio version of Gunsmoke for a number of months thanks to websites such as www.mysteryshows.com.

If I never heard William Conrad play Marshal Matt Dylan, I would prefer the TV version of this classic western however in my opinion, no one could top the cast that acted in the show on radio.

It's too bad that when the TV episodes went on the air, they didn't use the original cast.

Don't get me wrong. The TV show was okay but if a contest were to be held as to which one was better, I think the radio version of Gunsmoke would win hands down.
22Vines

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agree on radio version of Gunsmoke, very good. I found the Rifleman to be a good series on TV. Have you heard any from the Ft. Laramie radio series or the Six Shooter? Thoughts?
angelranger

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Yaw, yaw, I've heard the Six Shooter too. Had to judge pies at the town fair too. Yaw, yaw."

Gunsmoke Radio shows with Bill Conrad are excellent indeed. Parley Baer
as Chester. Bill Conrad wasn't tall enough and a little rotund to make the TV show, which went to 6' 7" James Arness. We know William Conrad as Cannon on TV. He was a CBS regular and appears in all kinds of radio shows, not always credited. Tex Ritter recorded the full lyrical theme song in 1955 on Capitol records. It can be found on the web.
Mike Hobart

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I grew up watching the television series with James Arness, but I suspect that having heard the radio series it would be difficult for me to go back to the video version.

A bit like the British TV series that adapts Alan Hunter's Inspector Gently novels -- the character is so different on TV to the books that I can't watch the TV show.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mysteryshows.com Forum Index -> Western All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: